Sunday, July 11, 2010

Shep Salutes Jack Johnson


Guy is working hard to get his degree from the U:
Each summer, the fourth-year Los Angeles Kings defenseman returns to Ann Arbor, enrolls in summer school and continues to chip away at his general studies degree. Although he hasn't experienced life as a full-time student for three years, Johnson relishes his time on campus.
During the season:
During the NHL season, Johnson, who is 23, takes classes online, using off-days to study and complete coursework. Technology, including video conferencing and Web tutorials, has made distance learning easier, but balancing school with an NHL career isn't easy.
Red is proud, since he's someone who has said in the past that he wants his guys getting an education, but that he won't get in the way of their NHL dreams:
"Jack's done really well with that. Some players say they'll (come back to finish) and they never do. But Jack has, and good for him."
Johnson's motivation:
"I come from a family where everyone has a degree, and I don't want to be the black sheep at the dinner table," Johnson said. "My 12-year-old brother gives me a hard time and he says he's going to get one before I do, and so I've got pressure.
And of course, my favorite quote:
"But I'm very proud of being a Michigan athlete, a Michigan student and it's always something I'll have in my pocket. It's a priceless thing to have."
Johnson seems to be a rarity in the NHL, not that he went to college hockey first, but rather he wants to finish his degree. The academic side of things seems very important to him even while he's making millions of dollars. They say hockey players are much more grounded than other athletes, this seems to support that belief.

1 comment:

  1. Way to report on this one. A positive sports-celebrity role model.

    ReplyDelete