Monday, August 23, 2010

Get Inspired: Quit Smoking

It may be too quick to push another "Get Inspired" post, but let's start this thing on the run.

This is about how the new smoke free rules on campus inspired one woman to quit smoking. While smoking provides a relief to many, the health hazards involved with smoking are obvious. It is not just about quitting smoking because of the new rules at the U, but also better your health.

Bobbie Young works in HR at The U. She's probably been smoking for longer than many of you have been alive. But she quit for her kids:
“I needed to quit for health reasons. I wanted to quit for my two sons. I got that (e-mail) in December and the program started in January so I didn’t have a lot of time to think about it. I just hopped onboard,” Young says.
Young has tried to quit before and she understands that it's a tough thing to do:
“I knew I could quit. It was just a matter of getting back into a group kind of situation. There’s something about being part of the group for me personally that makes it, I don’t want to say easier to quit, but more meaningful. It’s like you’ve made a commitment to others outside of yourself to try and do the best you can,” Young says.
So I implore you to stop smoking and I hope this story helps you to get there. Remember, you're not the only one facing this challenge. Good luck and if you need someone to talk to about quitting, I'm always around.

No comments:

Post a Comment