Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Greek Riots

If you were too busy watching The Grammy's, you might have missed the Greek riots as their government came to an agreement on austerity. This isn't the first time that Greece has rioted:

Yes, I very much like riot footage. What's interesting to me though is the Riot Police. Greece has no money. How can they afford the riot police? What kind of compensation are these guys receiving if they are against their fellow countrymen? Austerity is the issue in Greece; don't these policemen have their own thoughts on this?

Personally, I'd love to beat down some Greeks to get rid of some of the pent up aggression. I'd be a mercenary, but I'm all in for the cause if I can wail on some defenseless people standing up for what they believe in.

So what would I want in return for my professionally delivered beatings?

For starters, I'll take a chicken souvlaki plate. Giving out beatings is tough work and you've got to make sure I've got the energy to bring the pain. I'd also love it if they sweetened the deal a little bit. How about some baklava? No deal is complete without incentives. If I meet my quotas and do a superlative job, I deserve a bonus. Some Tzatziki sauce would be wonderful.

In all honesty, I don't know how Greece is holding it together. I don't know how the EU is holding it together. I expect things to fall apart. Things should fall apart. You can't keep trying to support a house with wood because the wood will rot, and the house will fall.

Greece needs to go back to the drawing board and lay the foundation for a new economy, and the EU has to decide whether they want to support Greece or not. A broken bone will not heal if you keep putting it under stress. You need to relieve the stress with rest.

There's no relief in Greece.

No comments:

Post a Comment