Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Perfect Protest?


People have been talking about protesting British Petroleum for a while because they're angry. They're angry because their livelihoods have been taken from them. They're angry because of the environmental damage that has occurred. They're angry because of the indecision which has led to this problem getting out of hand. Some are just angry to be angry.

But you know who aren't angry? British Petroleum. They might be annoyed by it a little bit. The fine they faced probably sucked and paying for the damages does too, but this is a company that makes billions every year. They're still doing alright no matter what happens. I think if you want to protest British Petroleum, you need to really piss those blimey Brits off.

I think I have the perfect protest. Obviously, growing up in the Boston area, I've been greatly influence by Revolutionary War history. A particular moment or event really stood out to me when I was thinking about a protest. I started thinking about the Boston Tea Party.

This was the event that really started the war. It really ticked of the Brits. It wasn't about losing the land, the subjects, the trading posts; it was about all that tea that was dropped into Boston Harbor. They hated all that tea going to waste. They were so pissed off about it that they decided to go to war over it.

If we really want to piss British Petroleum off, I say we dump a large portion of the World's tea into the Gulf. That would show them. May be they'll try and clean up the Gulf then. May be they'll take action. Because I'm sick of all this inaction. This problem should have been solved already. Their failure is unacceptable. We must strike.

No comments:

Post a Comment