Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Power of Sports in the College Landscape


In the fall out of the Penn State scandal, a lot of people are asking whether sports have too much power. This is in response, there has been a particularly a backlash against the students, who have marched in support of Joe Paterno. A couple days ago, I defended the students:
As an alum of a big sports school, I'll defend the kids, not for supporting Joe, but wanting to hold onto the football program. Sports are a big part of the experience at any big time football school. A big part of that is winning. These kids are confused and they're in denial because they're losing something that is dear to them. I'm sure many of them have a great fondness for the program and what JoePa has done for the Penn State football program on the field. Many of them grew up rooting for this team, watching teams like the undefeated 1994 team (I guess these kids might have been too young for that, huh?) or the many other strong Penn State squads of the last 15-20 years. JoePa has been very influential in making their school what it is because of the football program's winning tradition. The football program is a huge source of pride at Penn State. JoePa stepping down is a huge loss to the program and the university. These kids are losing a part of what makes them whole.

In time, they'll understand the wrongdoings of Paterno, but they'll need time to digest the reality and magnitude of what went on.
It's still too early for students to understand what happened. What happened was serious. What happened is ongoing. What happened will have consequences. I still understand why the kids acted the way they did. That doesn't mean I agree with them, but I understand. I felt the same way when I heard about "Practicegate," something that seems extremely small compared to what went on at Penn State. I was in denial. I didn't want something bad to happen at my school. Sports at my school meant so much to me.

The question is do sports have too much power?

I think sports are a great vehicle by which school pride can manifest itself. There aren't many way where you can show your school is better than the other school. Sports allows that. It's become a big business at schools and some schools do give it preferential treatment. That's the bigger problem.

What happened at Penn State, and we're still finding out more every day, was a lack of transparency and a lack of clear-minded thinking. Everything was addressed through the chain of command rather than where it should have been, by the law. The problem isn't with sports. The problem is when sports get special treatment to operate above the laws, not only of the NCAA but also of the land. Penn State had a chance to address these allegations immediately and properly. Now, they will have to face the consequences of their inaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment