Wednesday, April 14, 2010

NHL Draft Lottery

I guess I'm shifting more towards stuff that interests me that I think everyone should think about rather than just important news events. I still think knowing what's going on in the world is important, but this is my blog and I haven't been able to put enough me into it, besides the way I present things.

I want to talk about the NHL Draft Lottery tonight.

The Oilers won the lottery, having the top pick in the draft, while my Boston Bruins are picking second. The Oilers will have to choose between Tyler Seguin and Taylor Hall. Both of these two players are a cut above the rest and the debate all season in relation to the draft has been Tyler or Taylor. These two guys are so closely matched that it will be a tough decision. I am glad as a Bruins fan that we don't have the choice of who to take. Additionally, I think that the player that the Bruins get will be or become the better player because he will have that chip on his shoulder and will have something to prove. As of right now, my personal preference is Tyler Seguin because of his comparisons to Yzerman, but I also learned today that Hall wears #4 in honor of Bobby Orr. In actuality, it doesn't matter who the Bruins get. They just need to be a winner.

I have high hopes for these two picks though. I hope that they establish a strong competitive rivalry and the teams that they go to compete for championships. Some people will say we already have a great rivalry in Ovechkin and Crosby, but I would have to respond that there are several factors that take away from the rivalry. I think both players have weak reputations, Ovechkin with his dirty hits and Crosby with his fighting style. Additionally, Crosby plays with Evgeni Malkin, a player of equal caliber which muddies the rivalry a little bit. Some might say Malkin is the better player, which takes away from the rivalry of the NHL's two poster boys.

With Hall and Seguin, the NHL has two future great players coming in who are of equal caliber. They are going to go 1 and 2 in the draft, so there is a lot to build on. There are so many similarities between the two that it seems hard to see them not having a rivalry. We could be witnessing a Bird-Magic style rivalry in the making. This is what I hope for because both of those guys brought championships to their team. I would love to see the Bruins lifting up a Stanley Cup in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment