Thursday, May 6, 2010

Political Correctness Fails Again


I hate that people are trying to be overly sensitive on certain issues. This is America. It's a country built on freedom, built on the ability to express oneself. You think the Founding Fathers would be impressed with what the country is becoming right now? We are becoming hypersensitive and incidents such as this are where this movement to be more politically correct is failing. Let it run Guru:
Galli says he and his friends were sitting at a table during brunch break when the vice principal asked two of the boys to remove American flag bandannas that they wearing on their heads and for the others to turn their American flag T-shirts inside out. When they refused, the boys were ordered to go to the principal's office.
Sometimes I just have trouble wrapping my head around events that happen. I cannot believe that this happened. I really can't. This is a colossal face palm. You're telling me kids couldn't wear patriotic clothing?

Now, may be I don't give a shit about this political correctness bullshit because I do understand the situation. I can see how people would think that it is offensive on a Mexican holiday, though the celebration of the holiday isn't even celebrated in all of Mexico. With recent immigration controversy, it could be seen as disrespectful. However, that's saying that patriotic clothing is disrespectful. That's saying the American flag is disrespectful. Does anyone see the problem here? This shit is news for a reason.

Here are some quotes from the kids:
"They said we could wear it on any other day," Daniel Galli said, "but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today."
They're Mexican-Americans. This is America. You're telling me America cannot be celebrated? And their holiday? Their holiday? Not everyone celebrates their holiday, so I don't understand how this is disrespectful to their holiday. It's not like these kids were wearing swastikas on Rosh Hashanah. This is totally different.

More from the kids:
They said if we tried to go back to class with our shirts not taken off, they said it was defiance and we would get suspended," Dominic Maciel, Galli's friend, said.
Parent:
"I think it's absolutely ridiculous," Julie Fagerstrom, Maciel's mom, said. "All they were doing was displaying their patriotic nature. They're expressing their individuality."
Personally, I would sue the school for breach of the First Amendment. Although I'm sure the school would contend that the First Amendment doesn't apply on Cinco de Mayo.

Live Oak High School, you have failed.

(Special shout out to K-Lamp for this article)

No comments:

Post a Comment