Friday, January 8, 2010

Racism in Football


Racism in football is a continuing issue today. Despite efforts from FIFA to rid the game of racism, fans continue to berate players because of their race. At the center of the controversy in Italy has been Mario Balotelli. Balotelli is of Ghanaian descent, but was raised by Italian parents. He is Italian in every way and plays for the U-21 Italian National Team. However, he represents a change in a once homogenous country and it seems that people are not okay with that. He is also a target of controversy because of his behavior, but he is insulted because of his race. After the recent match against Chievo, Balotelli launched this claim:
"I do not apologise to those who insulted me," the statment on Balotelli's official website said. "But I do apologise to those who were innocent and whom I offended through my expressions of exasperation at the boos I received during the game and as I left the pitch.

"I should have made it clear that the fans in Verona and around Italy who boo me disgust me. Instead of enjoying a good game, they prefer to insult me.

"I am tired of always hearing racist chants when I'm on the pitch. It doesn't happen just at Verona. I was ashamed to hear my own Inter fans booing Chievo's Luciano. It's a disgrace which must end.''
There is no reason for racism in sport. It's a shame to see stuff like this occur still.

No comments:

Post a Comment